We’re sending our fourth Texas Tour winner to Gruene, Texas for an entire weekend in August… And you can bet we’re lookin’ forward to this leg of the tour. We’ve been asked, “Why are you going to Gruene?,” and we have a few good reasons up our sleeves.
1. Gruene Hall – Not only is this iconic building the oldest dance hall in Texas, it has also hosted some of the greatest country music stars,including Willie Nelson and George Strait (two of Levi’s favorites!) and helped launch the music career of Lyle Lovett. Built over 130 years ago by Richard Gruene, the famous dance hall is perfect for the summer nights spent with family and friends, enjoying a few Texas longnecks and listening to the next big name in country music.
2. Guadalupe River – Floating the river is a must in the Texas Hill County to beat the heat, as well as Levi’s go-to when he’s in the area, and for good reason. You can relax on the cool current with your closest friends and family, enjoying some Texas country music and great food, all while basking in the Texas sun.
3. History – The once prominent cotton provider became a ghost town in the 1930s after the Great Depression, but true to the spirit of Texas, Gruene reestablished itself as a must-visit city in Texas in the 1970s with the original Gruene Mansion Inn, Gruene Hall, and Gruene General Store. Goode Company similarly decorates their restaurants with only original pieces from Texas’ leading auctions and antique fairs.
4. Wine Tasting – Being in the heart of Hill Country, Gruene is a perfect destination for enjoying a glass of the finest Texas wines.
5. Shopping – Whether you’re interested in antiques or unique specialty items, Gruene has it all. The list of shops is as long as the Guadalupe; from Cactus Jacks to Buck Pottery, there’s something for everyone.